Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Dreadmill

     With all of the rain, it's been difficult to run outside, so again, I've been stuck on the treadmill for several runs.  I've made peace with the treadmill but have definitely created a mental list of pros and cons while putting in the many miles, as well as discovered the history of the treadmill.

     Before I mention the pros and cons, you may find it interesting that according to Treadmill Reviews,
                 "treadmills were invented in order to try to reform prisoners, a practice
                  that was established all the way back in 1817 by Sir William Cubitt. The
                  invention of the treadmill for the purpose of use in prisons can be traced
                  to an economic need. In England in the 19th century, many laborers found
                  themselves out of a job after the Napoleonic Wars, and the country could
                  not afford to allow convicts to take jobs away from English laborers. As a
                  solution, Cubitt came up with institutional treadmills whose purpose it was
                  to offer power to mills. The prisoners were forced to hang on to the bar and
                  climb up the paddle blades, which made them constantly lift up their legs."

     I'm not sure if a treadmill will ever help reform me in any way, but I'm quite sure it feels like a prison sentence when I have a fourteen miler even with the TV on the front.  That leads me to my list of pros of running on the treadmill.

Pros:
     I can watch HGTV.  (Home and Garden Television)  I make a list in my head of things I can purchase at Menards to redo my entire house...myself, because after all, I've watched how it's done.

     Even though it's icy and or raining outside, I can still get a run completed.

     I save money shopping because by the time the run is over, I've realized I won't be going to Menards to get the materials because that would take time away from my running.

    All water, Gatorade, GU gels, tissues, cheater glasses..yes, I need those, BASE salt, and phone are in their places on the front of the treadmill...and the bathroom is private.

Cons:
     I don't get to revel in  the beauty of nature and the energy in everything as I run outside. (watch I AM documentary.  Beautiful.)

     Running is not the same with the belt moving under me vs me creating the movement on the road or trail.
   
     I have to actually get off the treadmill, walk to the bathroom, wash my hands after, etc. if I have to pee.  On the road (I'm out in the country lol  I can watch for a car and if no one is coming, pop a squat if needed.  Yes, yes, I do .  Right on the side of the road.  No one is watching...live a little people...

     I can't spit or fart on the treadmill at the gym.  Nature outside is OK with my habits.  You don't fart or spit when you run?....not even a really long run?  Are you running fast enough?  Getting the right foods? :-)  If you aren't OK with farting, well, our running friendship will be short. :-)

     Running outside allows me to not get pissed due to some moron running out of the woods, then all of a sudden RIGHT next to me.  This happens on a treadmill, and I get SO pissed when  a person gets on the one RIGHT next to me when there is a line of empty treadmills.  (I always get on the end one next to the wall. It's mine.  All mine.  No exceptions.)

I could go on  and on about the cons of running on a treadmill but I will say, I am grateful for the option.  

Stay safe running or walking on the road or treadmill this week, Buckers.



 

"The Treadmill: A History." The Treadmill: A History 2017 | TreadmillReviews.net. Treadmill Reviews,      
     2017. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.

3 comments:

  1. Another great post! Nice work. Yes, I dread running on the treadmill as well, especially for a long run, mainly because I can't spit or fart, or sing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. treadmills, swimming pools and trainers .... all poor but necessary substitutes for the great outdoors. Can't wait for spring. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete