Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Bonk, and the Bike

       It has been over five months since I've touched the keys to write.  Why?  Well, a lot has occurred.  Growth aka divorce, and the death of a very special friend, Gracie...yes, my mini Yorkie.  I'll talk about growth but Gracie just isn't a subject I'm ready to discuss, possibly never.  That may seem silly to many but for some, understood.   I will tell you she was very sick with Blastomycosis, and for the sake of her not suffering, I had to make a very difficult decision.  That is all I can really say about it.

      I started this blog discussing trying to qualify for Boston.  Well, it went about as well as can be expected...much like the marriage....it started out very strong and promising.  I was clicking the miles off on pace for Boston.  After twenty miles, I thought to myself, "Damn!  I really may get this!  I only have a 10K left!" Then, much like my marriage, shit just started to go south.  Not like sweet tea south or good BBQ south, but hot, humid, sticky August pissed off south. My body refused to listen...I kept thinking, "Run!" but my body answered in a slow drawl, "Naw, not today. Today, I'm going to feel tired after twenty miles and want to sit down and take a nap."  Like, literally sit down on the side of the road and catch a snooze. What was happening??!!

     I was bonking.
 
     My body had hired it's own lawyer and was divorcing me from the chance of making it to Boston. I was completely bucked at that point because once you start to bonk, it's only a matter of time before your body says, enough. Just reaching the finish line, much less trying to maintain a pace to qualify for Boston, becomes the new goal.  Pride put aside, I did finish the marathon.  Did I cry?  Of course. Especially, when I watched the pacer with the bright yellow Boston knee socks jog out of sight and disappear completely.  It was painful. I had to walk a few times at the end and the tears of defeat fell.  All those early morning miles, tired legs, endless hours of sweating, gone in an added thirteen minutes tagged on to the 4 hour required time for a fifty year old female to run Boston.

     I didn't run for weeks after the marathon.  I couldn't. I didn't want to. In fact, I bucking hated to run even a mile after bonking like that.  What happened to ignite my training?  The bike. It actually came as a blessing because I realized a few things while riding my bike again...there are things about riding, that are very similar to life.

1. Learn to use your gears: You've got to use your gears on the bike. All of them. The routes you ride, much like life are not all flat and fast, so you've got to learn to make changes that will enhance your ride, much like your life. It's foolish to ride for miles stuck in the same gear, knowing you've got an arsenal of them. Shifting gears is good, so are changes in life.

2. Draft when needed: Drafting can save up to 30% of energy expenditure on a ride. It's OK to accept when you need someone to help pull you a little, so you can get your strength back. Recognize you can't suck their wheel forever, but do realize when you may need a little help when it's windy. Get rested, then pull for them. (Sorry, triathletes...in a race you're on your own, but you may draft once in a while on a training ride. 😁)

3. Embrace the climb: Not one of my favorites but I've learned the hard way to embrace it because   I keep in mind the grind to the top of the hill or mountainside is worth the view from the top. Is it easy? Hell no. There will be times you'll have to stop and have a "moment" then get your butt back on the bike and continue to grind. Put your head down and finish it out. It's tough but if you are lucky, you'll have someone that will ride quietly by your side supporting you. 💕

4. Enjoy the descents: When you reach the top of a tough one, smile on the descent. Allow yourself to enjoy what you've accomplished and laugh out loud on the way down the hill or mountainside. You've earned it.

5. Avoid potholes, rocks, and vehicles: Pay attention when you ride. You can look ahead and see potholes, obstacles, and vehicles. You can't assume someone will mark the dips and rocks. You for damn sure can't assume a vehicle will watch for you. You are your own responsibility and can make decisions to avoid such negative and sometimes deadly things. Again, pay attention and avoid the drama and negatives. Yes, you DO have that choice.

Well, there you have it, Buckers.  A few life lessons I've learned and been reminded of while riding my bike.  I'm even back to swimming and running to train for my 7th Ironman in Chattanooga on September 24, 2017.  Join me on the journey.  Peace. ✌





3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! Your riding rules and analogies around them are something we all need to think about and reflect on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a GREAT writer Becca. Love you sweet woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I had no idea, I am so sorry to hear that. You are a great writer :) So how was the triathlon?

    ReplyDelete